Pages

Thursday 18 September 2014

Murgh Makkhan Kali Mirch (Buttery Pepper Chicken)


Murgh Makkhan Kali Mirch (Buttery Pepper Chicken)

I’m the sort who likes complex recipes. I like recipes that have layered elements. Simple recipes usually bore me. Yeah, I'm a Bawi, we aren't known for our eccentricity just for the heck of it, we thrive on it! Having said that, there is a sane part of me that always stashes away simple recipes for those rare days when I don't really want to do much in the kitchen. This simple recipe has just six ingredients, all of which are usually available, at home, in the pantry and freezer. This recipe is sinfully! It’s as easy as... damn! I can’t even say ‘pie’ because it’s easier than that. Don't believe me?? Give it a try and check it out for yourself!

Ingredients:

900 grams - 4 whole chicken legs, each cut into two pieces
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons oil
2½ tablespoons black pepper, ground to a coarse texture
4-5 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt (optional) 

Method:

  1. Heat butter and oil in a thick bottomed vessel on a medium-low flame.
  2. Add the chicken pieces and fry the chicken until it turns brown.
  3. Add the ground pepper and salt (optional) and stir well.
  4. Reduce heat to low and cook till water from the chicken evaporates.
  5. Add 200 mils hot water and cook till chicken is tender.
  6. Add chopped coriander leaves, and stir fry for a minute. Remove from the hob and serve with naan, paratha or roti.

Chef Notes: 

  1. If you do not wish to slather the chicken in peppery-butter while dining, feel free to remove half the quantity of butter just before you add the pepper powder. That way you will save up on calories. Those who know me do know that I personally will balk at the idea of doing so. *Oh bite me!*
  2. Salt is optional because the butter added to the dish is already salty. I felt it needed a wee bit of salt hence added ¼ teaspoon. Please feel free to adjust the salt content to suit your taste buds.
  3. I used the coarsest level on my peppermill to ensure there were intermittent bits of 'pepper-hits' on my palate. Trust me, that is the way to go!
  4. I was in no mood to do anything fancy or cook anything else hence served the chicken with double-yolk fried eggs and potato smiley.
  5. This chicken recipe if made with coriander and served with dal, roti, paratha, etc., will make a great Indian meal. On the other hand, you can substitute coriander with a few sprigs of parsley, the roti/paratha can be substituted with garlic bread and the potato smiley could well be interchanged with mash potato or french fries. Voila! The dish turns into a continental delight!
  6. The original recipe is courtesy Rocky Mohan, I have tweaked the proportions to my liking. I was motivated to try this recipe thanks to Rajeev Nandagopal who recreated this dish and is a master at non-vegetarian dishes. 
  7. Please do not throw away the extra pepper-butter after you’re done with the chicken. It keeps in the fridge for a week or more. Use it to scramble eggs, or to make an omelet, or to fry eggs. The eggs when made in this flavored butter, taste heavenly!
  8. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism. 

2 comments:

  1. wow the lovely recipe.. drooling on cute smiles.. just followed your blog.. glad if you follow mine too :) love monu bless you dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog, Monu. So glad you liked the recipes and the blog. Checked out your blog and am following it. You have great stuff on there. Cheers!

      Delete