Pages

Sunday 22 February 2015

Barbeque Onions


Barbeque Onions

There isn't much to say about this recipe except that it goes beautifully with burgers, sliders, sandwiches, chicken wings and grilled or pan sautéed steaks. Use the recipe as an accompaniment with any, and all, such stuff. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

4 large onions, thickly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons Hot & Sweet sauce (I used Maggi)
¼ cup Barbeque sauce (I used Kraft)
1 tablespoon HP sauce
2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons red chili sauce (I used Chings)
Dash of salt (optional)


 Method:

  1. Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan. Add the onions and mix well to separate the onions. Bring down heat to medium-low, cover and allow the onions to sweat and soften.
  2. When the onions have softened and become translucent, add the mustard powder, pepper powder and sauté for a few seconds.
  3. Add the soy sauce, Hot & Sweet sauce, Barbeque sauce, HP sauce, red chili sauce and mix well. Allow the sauce to come together in a gentle simmer 3 minutes.
  4. Check for salt and add ONLY if needed. Take it off the heat and use as required. It keeps in the fridge for 5-6 days 

Chef Notes:

  1. Ideally these onions are hot and peppery but if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, oppppsss :P :D I mean feel free to reduce the quantity of the pepper powder. Personally I prefer the pepper hit which is why I use the quantity specified.
  2. I do not use any salt for this recipe as the sauces already have the required salt content. Please check whether you need to add salt. Add it only if you feel the need to add more.
  3. I always have ready stock of these onions in the fridge. When I'm in a whacky mood (read: greedy mood), I diagonally slice a few sausages (also, always available in the freezer), gently sauté them in olive oil, toast some bread (if I don't have bread rolls), butter the toast, drop a tablespoon of BBQ onions, put the sausage pieces over it, squeeze some cream cheese from a tube and put it under a hot grill for a minute or two. Ta-da! A lip-smacking snack ready in less than 10 minutes. Similarly, you can use this recipe with lots of variations.
  4. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment