Pages

Friday 12 June 2015

Kothimbir Wadi (Crisp Coriander Fritters)


Kothimbir Wadi (Crisp Coriander Fritters)

This snack hails from the state of Maharashtra. It is also known as Koshimbir Wadi. The recipe comes to you from Anu (Anita), my daughter from another mother. This spicy, crisp snack is a perfect accompaniment with chai (tea). It keeps for 3-4 days if stored in an air-tight container. My guests go totally gaga over these spicy babies and I know you will too.

There was a time when I refused to eat anything that contained coriander leaves. Both my Grandmas would chop coriander leaves really fine to ensure I did not see it in my food because if I did, I was sure to throw a fit. (Blame it on my mum, she hates the herb :P ) Then came a time when I began cooking. I began experimenting and experiencing flavors. I fell madly in love with this beautiful green herb. I’m a brat! I always have been, i always will be *very angelic smile*, hence, I still throw a fit, but now I do so when Anu forgets to add it, as and when it needs to be added.

And yes, mum hates coriander leaves but she happily tucks into these spicy babies. At times like these i just don't bother trying to understand what goes on in that mind of hers - lest I lose mine. :-))

Ingredients:

2 large bunches coriander leaves, roughly chopped
3 cups (200 mils each) chickpea flour / besan atta
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large pod garlic, peeled (approx 15 large cloves)
15 green chilies
Salt, to taste
Oil to fry

Method:

  1. Grind cumin seeds, garlic and green chilies to a smooth thick paste. Keep aside.
  2. Make a thick, but pour-able paste combining chickpea flour, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
  3. Add the ground paste, little by little, according to taste and mix well.
  4. Add the coriander leaves and again give it a good stir to mix well. Re-check seasoning.



  5. Heat water in a steamer.
  6. Pour half the chickpea mixture in a thali (10 inch diameter). The thickness of the batter poured in the thali should be about 1 to 1½ centimeter.
  7. Put the thali in the steamer, in the bowl above the basin of boiling water. Cover and steam for 15 minutes, or till done. A knife inserted should come out clean.



  8. When done, remove the thali from the steamer, allow it to cool. Over turn the thali, when cool, onto a wax paper.
  9. Repeat the steaming process with the other half of the chickpea mixture.
  10. Once the wadi cakes are cool, cut them into one inch pieces.
  11. Heat oil in a wok/kadai and deep fry the wadi pieces till crisp on the outside. They should be crisp on the outside and semi-soft from inside. (I over-fry them a wee bit because I like them very crisp.)
  12. When done, drain on kitchen paper and serve with chutney of your choice. If you are a lazy bum like me, just bring out the Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauce and serve it with that ;-) Oh yes, don’t forget that steaming, fragrant cup of chai.

Chef Notes: 

  1. If you don’t have a steamer, boil water in a large, wide vessel. Put in a stand to hold the thali (stainless steel plate), cover with a lid and use as a steamer. Please ensure that water does not boil and bubble its way into the thali.
  2. Please do not cut the big wadi cakes until they are cool as they tend to crumble.
  3.  I have advised that you add the ground paste little by little because although this is a spicy snack some of you may feel the need to lessen the spice factor if you aren’t used to spicy food.
  4. Once the knife comes out clean from the steamed cake, remove the thali from the steamer and allow it to cool before you overturn it onto a wax paper. Once cool, you may help it along but running a knife gently and carefully along the sides of the thali to ensure the steamed cake turns out onto the wax paper with ease. Please allow the steamed cake to cool completely before cutting it into one inch wadis.
  5. I said 'fragrant' cup of chai because we Bawas (Parsees) usually add mint leaves and lemon grass leaves to our tea. In monsoon and winter months a dash of black pepper powder is also added. 
  6. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment