Pages

Friday 13 April 2018

A Stellar Gujarati Thali - Hotel Chandralok - Lonavala


I rarely write full reviews these days but when I encounter places that serves me a meal that warm the cockles of my Bawi heart, I cannot help but pen a full review. 

Sometime last year Priyus (Priyadarshini) dragged my big, fat ass all the way from Wanowrie to Chinchwad to eat Dal Battis at Baba Ramdev Dhaba. I'm not as big a fan of the stuff but I love trying out new places hence happily gave in. At the time I thought that was the furthest i had travelled, merely to eat a meal; a vegetarian meal at that (yes, I'm a hardcore carnivore). Little did i know at the time that I'd be travelling even further for yet another vegetarian meal.

A couple of days ago Priyus mention her visits to Lonavala. On both visits she ate a Gujarati thali at Hotel Chandralok (with excellent unlimited aam ras). Once told about this how could i resist. Plans were made and finally put into action this morning. We drove to Lonavala and back for this fabulous thali.

Beginning from a bunch of dishes scattered at 6 o'clock position and moving left to right the thali consisted of.. Batata Wada (superb), Patrel/Patra (no great shakes), Veg Sesame Toast (so darn good it would put good restaurants to shame) Bhindi (so, so, so good), Lobia (very good), Aloo Rassa (excellent), mixed veg (did not touch.. too vegetarian for my liking 🤪), sweet Gujarati Dal (yummm), spicy Dal (very nicely made but I'm always partial to sweet Gujarati dal toh ismein bechari spicy dal ka kya kasoor), sweet Gujarati Kadi (loveddddd it), Aam Ras (please, please don't ask me how many helpings i had, i'd be too bloody embarrassed to tell ya.. just know it was bloody STELLAR) and lastly the mixed fruit custard (nahiiiiiiiiiiii, except for mangoes and bananas mein koi bhi fruit ko haath aur muh nahi lagaungi). They also served us taak, papads, puris, phulkas, bhakri, rice and khichdee (drizzled with pure ghee.. sigh! ).

The price of each thali was 400 buckaroos. Effin' VFM! The service was superb too. Prompt, efficient and yet when we told them to slow down they did just that. I'm going to totally ignore the mediocre patrel/ patra and say.. All in all, this meal deserves a hearty 5 on 5 rating. Psssst... yes, though vegetarian, I'm definitely going back before the mango season ends. Give it a try even if you have to travel all the way from Pune. It's so worth the trip.

Address: Near Bus Stand & Post Office, Opposite Mumbai-Pune National Highway, Lonavala, Pune
Tel: 02114 272294 / 02114 273939

Hotel Chandralok Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment