Pages

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Chicken Liver Pâté


Chicken Liver Pâté

I’m sharing a recipe that's my all time favorite and very close to my heart because it turns out purrrrfect. It’s not just a tried and tested recipe, it’s a recipe I trust so much, that I use it when I need to give out ‘foodie’ gifts :-)

Ingredients:

500 grams chicken liver, cleaned n soaked in salted water for one hour, drain
125 grams butter
1 large onion
½ teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
6 rashers bacon (I use 8 slices of plain chicken salami because I don’t eat pork)
3 tablespoons port
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon brandy
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
½ cup cream
125 grams mushrooms, chopped
60 grams butter, extra


Method:

  1. Heat butter in a pan, add chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf and chopped salami/bacon.
  2. Sauté slowly until very tender but not brown.
  3. Add cleaned livers, simmer for 7 minutes or until cooked.
  4. Take another pan and to it add, brandy, port, sherry, chopped mushrooms, salt, pepper and cream.
  5. Stir to combine, bring to boil, simmer gently uncovered until sauce has reduced by half.
  6. Cool a bit and then pour the cream mixture into the blender. Also add the cooked liver mixture. Blend both until smooth.
  7. Push mixture through a course sieve. Transfer the sieved mixture into small individual bowls or a big bowl. Smooth out the top.
  8. Put extra butter in a saucepan, melt over gentle heat until white sediment comes to top; skim off the sediment.
  9. Pour the clarified butter over to cover top of pâté, refrigerate until set. Serve with garlic toast, crackers or thin Melba toast. 
Chef Notes: 

  1. If I can't procure sherry, I substitute it with 2 extra tablespoons port and 1 extra tablespoon of brandy.
  2. In the past few years I've given up pork hence I substitute bacon for 8 slices of smoked chicken salami. Die-hard pork eaters will slaughter me, or have me committed to a mental institution, but I feel there's hardly any difference in the taste. 
  3. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment