Pages

Sunday 15 September 2013

Khichdee (Pish-pash style)


Khichdee (Pish-Pash Style)

Simple though they may be, there are some dishes you just can't get enough of. This is one such dish. I can describe this dish in one word. Soul-food! Simple and yet so satisfying. As I type this recipe the craving for this dish stirs in my heart, yet again, and I have half a mind to tell Anu (my daughter from another mother) to dump the prawn curry she’s made for dinner and make this. ;-) I dare not though, not unless i want to be growled at. :P 

Made with Yellow Split Moong Dal 
Ingredients:

½ cup yellow split green gram/yellow moong dal
½ cup rice
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
6 black peppercorns + 5 extra peppercorns
Salt, to taste
1½ tablespoons clarified butter/ghee (I use a wee bit more because my family loves the taste of ghee in dals and khichdee)
A few curry leaves
½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera

Made with Green Gram Split (Moong Chilka)

Method:

  1. Wash and soak the rice and dal together for about 20 minutes. Drain.
  2. Add the dal and the rice into a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder, 6 peppercorns, salt and 2¼ cups water.
  3. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and set aside for a while to reduce steam then open the cooker.
  4. Just before serving, heat ghee in a separate vessel; splutter the curry leaves, remaining 5 peppercorns and cumin seeds.
  5. Pour the ghee mixture over the khichdee and serve hot.


Chef Notes: 

  1. The same Khichdee can be made with split red gram/ahar dal/toor dal.
  2. Peppercorns used for tempering can be substituted with 2 cloves and half an inch of cinnamon. You may even use dry red chilies along with the whole spices to temper the Khichdee. 
  3. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment