Butter Chicken Masala
This Butter Chicken recipe is quite different in taste from the one I usually make. I had bought the Zaiqa Butter Chicken Masala packet and I wanted to try the recipe as written on the packet. It was very different in taste from the regular Butter Chicken Masala but flavor-wise, though different, it hit all the right spots.
Ingredients for Marination:
2 tablespoons Zaiqa Butter Chicken Masala
1 teaspoon lime juice
1-2 tablespoons curd/plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions, ground to paste or chopped very fine
4 tomatoes, ground to paste (boiled & de-skinned) or 1 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
500 grams chicken boneless pieces
1 teaspoon dry kasoori methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves
3 tablespoons Zaiqa Butter Chicken Masala
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup or 1 teaspoon sugar
Salt, to taste
1 cup milk
2 tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon cream, to garnish
- Marinate chicken pieces in Zaiqa Butter Chicken Masala, lime juice, curd and salt.
- Leave to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Pan fry or grill. When cooked, keep aside for use in the gravy.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a kadai/wok. Sauté the onion paste, or very finely chopped, till the raw onion smell evaporates.
- Add 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste, sauté well.
- Add ground tomatoes or 1 cup tomato puree. Sauté till the raw tomato smell evaporates and oil separates.
- Add chicken pieces, sauté for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- Add Zaiqa Butter Chicken Masala, kasoori methi leaves, salt to taste, sauté.
- Add milk (very gradually), and allow to simmer for a few minutes till the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Add cream, tomato ketchup, or sugar, simmer on very low heat for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with butter and cream. Serve with naan or parathas.
- Vegetarians can use cottage cheese/paneer instead of chicken to make a vegetarian version of this recipe.
- The recipes asks for boneless pieces but I’m not very fond of boneless chicken hence opted for drumsticks.
- I used the Zaiqa brand of Butter Chicken masala that I bought online. It’s a spice blend manufactured by Zaiqa – The Spice Store. To buy their spices visit their Face book page ‘Zaiqa - The Spice Store’ and message Anisa Arif for the same.
- You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.