Pages

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Batata Wada


Batata Wada

Anu (my daughter, of 24 years, from another mother) suddenly comes up to me and says, ‘Batata wada banna rahi hu. Aap khaoge?’ (Translation: I’m making batata wadas. Will you eat?) One of the silliest questions (sigh!) ever put to me in all of 46 years that I have walked this earth. :P Who in their right mind ever says ‘no’ to batata wada? I ate the first wada and immediately forgave her for having asked, ‘Aap khaoge?’ ;) Please, please don’t ask me how many I gobbled up. I don’t like mentioning (obscene) details that get me into trouble with my physiotherapist and I’m pretty damn sure that little rascal watches my blog like a hawk. :P :D There was a time when I used to frequent Pune’s most famous wada-pau vendor regularly because I love them. Ever since the day Anu began making them at home I hardly ever buy batata wadas from outside. This recipe of hers is a keeper. Go on; make these delicious, spicy babies at home for evening tea while the rain lashes at your window. It’s the perfect season for piping hot batata wadas! :) 

Ingredients for Wada:

½ kg potatoes, boiled and mashed (mash them but do not mash them smooth)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 onions, finely chopped
5 green chilies, finely chopped
One sprig curry leaves
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
A few sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon oil
Oil, to deep fry

Ingredients for batter:

1½ cup chick pea flour
Pinch of salt
Water, as needed to make a batter (not too thick)

Method: 

  1. .Heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add green chilies; curry leaves, mustard seeds, garlic, coriander seeds and splutter (do not burn).
  2. Add onion, sauté till soft (do not brown).
  3. Add salt, turmeric powder to the onion and sauté for a few seconds.
  4. Add the potatoes to the onion mixture and mix very well to ensure the spices blend well with the potatoes. Check seasoning.
  5. Cook on low heat for a minute or two allowing the flavors to blend.



  6. Cool the potato mixture. Take a bit of the mixture, shape into patties. (this mixture will make about 9-10)
  7. Heat oil in a kadai / wok.
  8. Mix the chick pea flour, salt and water to make a smooth batter (not too thick).
  9. Dip the patties in the batter and carefully lower into the wok to fry. (Do not add too many all at once).
  10. Fry till beautifully golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
  11. Serve piping hot wadas with chutney of your choice or sandwiched between ladi pau (bread). 



Chef Notes:

  1. Please adjust the green chilies to suit your taste buds. I love my batata wadas really spicy hence prefer using 5 chilies or more. ;)
  2. IMPORTANT: Please make only one wada when you begin frying it. Check the batter covering once it’s fried; add water or chick pea flour to adjust if the consistency if the batter needs adjustment. If the coating of the wada is perfect then go right ahead and fry the others without any change in the batter.
  3. Do not burn the batata wadas but please allow the batter to get to a beautiful golden color. Dull golden wadas look quite insipid and unappealing when served.
  4. We in the Western region of India (Maharashtra) usually make batata wada in the patty shape as shown in the photographs on this blog but people from North India usually make round wadas. Another name for batata wada is aloo bonda.
  5. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

2 comments: