Pages

Friday 22 June 2018

UTF – The Urban Foundry – Very Hep & Happening!



This review comes in a tad late as my computer suddenly flat-lined. It took the doctor (comp tech) a while to pick up the defibrillator paddles to revive it. You get my drift, right? 😉


I had heard of The Urban Foundry but because of the 'distance-factor' I found no opportunity to visit it. When ‘The Urban Foundry’ extended a pre-launch invite to Team @FoodProwl, for a tasting at their new, ritzy Kalyani Nagar branch, I graciously accepted the invite.


The interiors of TUF are hip. The swanky bar takes up most of the front section of the restaurant and they have incorporated ‘foundry’ specifics in the cutest of ways. There are chocolate nuts and bolts in desserts, certain drinks are served in bulb shaped glasses, heavy iron doors lead to their washrooms and the overall rustic décor evoke a 'foundry feel'. Every detail has been well thought of and perfectly assimilated. I also loved the witty writings on the glass coasters.


We began our tasting with various cocktails, none of which I tasted as I’m a teetotaler. The rest of the team did try the cocktails and the common consensus at the table was that they were very well made. I chose a citrus based Virgin Margarita (frozen) and loved the sweet-tangy flavour.


We began with ‘Chote Gear’ (their name for appetizers): Edmame Ki Bhel, Tilwala Paneer, Mushroom Tundey Kebab, Asian Patrani Murgh, TUF Nawabi Seekh Kebab, Prawn Gold Coin, Tangdi Kebab, Bacon Cheese Poppers and Baconnaise.


Of all ‘chota gears’ we tried, there were quite a many that were ‘bahut bada’ on flavour. 


The melt in the mouth Mushroom Tundey Kebab (served on a thin piece of baguette toast – so darn yum!), the beautifully moist Nawabi Seekh Kebab, the delicately flavoured Prawn Gold Coin, the robust Tilwala Paneer and the unique Baconnaise which was a mix of herbs and coarsely ground bacon bits served with thin, crisp baguette toasts; all these were superb! The Bacon Cheese Poppers were also excellent; what’s not to like about cheese and bacon, eh? 😉


We then moved on to dumplings and a salad. The salad was the Chicken Tikka Carpaccio Chaat. While the carnivore in me ate (and liked) the Chicken Tikka Carpaccio, I gave the raw chaat (salad ingredients) a miss. Unfair? Yes, a bit; but my stomach cannot handle raw food and salads hence gave it a miss. 


We were served two vegetarian dumplings, Magik Mushroom and Malai Broccoli, both of which were stellar! 


The non-veg dumplings served were, Kali Mirch Chicken, Kheema Ghotala and Tandoori Chicken Momos. 


While I loved the Kheema Ghotala dumpling, I found the Kali Mirch Chicken and Tandoori Chicken Momos lacking in delicacy with regard to their dense mince filling. 


Of all the dumplings we tried that evening, I’d easily give both the vegetarian dumplings 1st prize. I cannot stress enough, do not miss out on these vegetarian babies!! A point I must make; the casings of all the dumpling were light and silky; not merely to look at but also on the palate. A big plus to the TUF kitchen team for that!


While the @FoodProwl team enjoyed the sushi platters served after the dumplings, I gave them a miss as they contained cucumber, an ingredient I’m severely allergic to. Unfortunately, because of the added cucumber, it was the same with the delicate cold Japanese style Tuna & Truffle Pizza. I saw ‘bright green’ when I heard the team oohing and aahing over it, but I dared not touch it for fear of any allergic reaction. ☹ I did have the Chicken Tikka Pizza, though, and I loved it!


The Large Foundry Thermodynamics (main course) consisted of Dal Baati Khowsuey, Dabba Gosht – Roti/Naan, Calcutta Chilly Chicken, Egg Fried Rice and Veg Hakka Noodles. 


The Dal Baati dish is named so because it is served with accompaniments similar to that of Khowsuey. Though not a big fan of Dal Baati, I did try the ghee soaked Baati with the dal and I loved it. 


The succulent mutton, that soft boiled egg and the spicy gravy gets Dabba Gosht on the must-try list. The Chinese dishes were also well made. No complaints there.


We moved on to dessert and because of the added fruit I gave the Motichoor Sushi a miss. Most people at the table were a tad apprehensive of this ‘fusion’ dessert in the beginning but became quite accepting of it after having tried it. 


While I thought the Frozen Gajar Halwa was more like a Gajar Kulfi, I could not fault it for it’s taste. 


The quirky-yummy Foundry Cheesecake had Gulab Jamuns and a chocolate nut/bolt placed within. I thought the nut-bolt element was damn cool!


The Urban Foundry has a vibrant, young vibe which is not to say it’s not for not so young. The food (the new dishes added to the menu and the ‘fusion’ dishes) do make sense to the palate and the excellent cocktails / mocktails they serve make this new baby on the Kalyani Nagar block a very hep and happening place. Truly, a cool place to hang out at with friends and family.

Address: B-3, Ground floor, Cerebrum IT Park, Near Marigold Complex, Kalyani Nagar, Pune.
Tel: 020 71967421

Some more photographs...
































No comments:

Post a Comment