Pages

Friday 14 December 2018

Parsi Choi



I’m a Bawi and if there is one thing I cannot get enough of, its Parsi ‘choi’. We Parsi’s love our ‘choi’. Yes, most of us pronounce chai as ‘choi’. Time and again so many people have requested me for this recipe. I finally decided to stop procrastinating. Here's the step by step recipe for Parsi Choi. 


Before I get down to actually writing the recipe let me tell you what the main difference is between regular chai and choi? Well, we Parsi’s add mint leaves (phudno/phoodina) and lemon grass (lilli chai patti aka gavti chai) to our tea. There are a few variations to our tea. For example, if we are able to lay our paws on peppermint leaves, we would much rather use that in place of mint leaves. In the winter months, or on cold rainy days, we add black pepper powder to our tea.


The Parsi’s were originally from Persia (Iran). When we settled in India, a few from our clan slowly took on habits/tastes from local cultures. It is for this reason that certain Parsi’s prefer tea made the ‘Indian’ way; with crushed cardamom or ginger, or the typical Gujarati way by adding ‘chai masala’. Yes, there are a few Bawajees who take their tea the British ‘apri raani’ way; very light or very milky; to each their own. They’re safe from my fists as long as they never invite me over for a cuppa. 😝🙊


Here’s the recipe to Parsi choi as made in my house, day in and day out. The proportion to this recipe is based on a mug of tea, instead of a cup of tea. We’re major tea drinkers and a cup is simply too tiny. The proportions mentioned will make 1 mug (300 ml) or 2 cups of tea (150 ml each).

I have friends who crave Parsi ‘choi’ and love to drop in for a cuppa. I also have friends who cannot handle this tea at all. Parsi choi is a bit like me. An acquired taste; not everyone can handle/tolerate it (me). 😉

Ingredients:

200 ml water
100 ml milk
1 heaped teaspoon regular black tea leaves (my brand is Taj)
6-7 mint leaves
1 long shoot lemon grass, cut into 2-inch pieces
Sugar, served on the side

Method:

  1. Wash the lemon grass and mint. Keep aside.
  2. Put the milk and water to boil over low heat.
  3. Add the tea powder, mint leaves and lemon grass. (This is the point where you add black pepper powder in case you are using it)



  4. Allow the tea to come to a boil.



  5. When you see it come to a boil, increase the flame and allow it to come to a rapid boil. (Please keep a close eye to ensure it does not overflow)



  6. When the tea comes to a rapid boil and rises to the top of the vessel (without overflowing please), immediately turn down the heat and stir the tea with a spoon. That will enable it to settle down faster.



  7. Simmer for 2 to 4 minutes. (The simmer time depends on whether you prefer a strong or a stronger blend of choi).
  8. Take the tea off the stove and allow it to seep for a minute or two.
  9. Pour into a mug and serve steaming hot with sugar on the side.



Chef’s Notes:

  1. When I get back from visits to Udwada, in Gujarat, (our place of holy pilgrimage) I usually bring back fresh peppermint leaves and use them in my tea instead of regular mint leaves. Peppermint leaves simply takes the aroma of tea to another level. Sigh!
  2. If you wish to add black pepper powder to your tea on a cold winter day, go a tad easy at the beginning and increase the quantity gradually. I add ¼ teaspoon (flat, not heaped) for a 300 ml mug. Please be prepared for a fabulous spicy hit at the back of your throat.
  3. The ‘choi’ photographs I am posting with this recipe have been taken by me over the past few months with various biscuits, sandwiches, etc. Drool away, guys ;-)
  4. If you prefer a milkier version, feel free to go 50-50 with the proportion of milk and water.
  5. You may add sugar directly to the tea (if everyone in your family uses the same quantity of sugar).
  6. In case you are wondering, ml stands for milliliter.
  7. The photograph of the lemon grass, mint leaves, black tea powder and pepper powder are merely to illustrate how much is used for 1 mug of tea.
  8. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own or you will be held accountable for plagiarism.

    Shrewsbury Biscuit From Kayani Bakery





Elaichi Butter Biscuits From Kayani Bakery


Soup Sticks From Kayanai Bakery - My All Time Favourite

You can hardly see the tea in this photograph. This is just me being mean to get you guys drooling over the Roast Beef Sammich (Roast Beef courtesy: Sajjani Nair - The Secret Chef Nextdoor) 


Sweet Bun From City Bakery

Brazil Nut Biscuits From Kayani Bakery

Sweet Bun From City Bakery

Vasanu - The Parsi Winter Favourite



2 comments:

  1. Love ur posts n the description to go with it..awaiting for some more. I grew up with a Zorashtrian family in Pune(lost touch withthem somehow) but could relate to every word u hv written Thanks tremendously for bringing back beautiful fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Food does invoke beautiful memories. :) Do let me know who you lost touch with in Pune. In case I know of them, I shall surely let you know and you can reconnect with them. Cheers!

      Delete