Pages

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Theobroma - Nostalgia Unlimited!



At the onset let me clear one point. As most of you know, I have a massive soft spot for Theobroma because as a former Mumbaikar I have very fond memories of my visits to their Cusrow Baug branch but... I'm gonna pen with honesty. 



Theobroma opened its doors in Pune sometime late January or early February of this year. I waited a few weeks before stepping in as I did not want to encounter the teething troubles a new establishment faces. Having given them a month to settle down, I finally walked into the Koregaon Park outlet a couple of days back. Mum and I popped in for a quick lunch before hopping across for a long snoozy, me-time facial. πŸ§–‍♀️

We ordered a croissant (yes, i always wanna check the croissants 😏), a Roasted Meat Sandwich, Raw Orange Juice and the Non-veg Quiche. We brought home the Chicken-Cheese Patties, 3+3 (6) Walnut Brownies, 3+3 (6) Millionare Brownies and 1+1 (2) Dense Chocolate Loaves.



A few minutes after having placed the order, the server brought us the croissant. The croissant was hot but limpish-ly soggy. Sigh! It had been reheated in a microwave. Who in their right mind does that? 🀦🏻‍♀️ Croissants are always gently reheated in an OTG to ensure they retain the crisp outer texture. I asked the server if the poor dear (croissant) had been tortured in a microwave and he said yes. I sent it back!! He brought me another one, room temperature, directly from the display shelf where it was stored. Double sigh! I was so upset by what had transpired that I failed to click a photograph of the croissant. I did manage to get a pic of the inner portion as I cut it in half to share it with mum. The croissant was very average. It was definitely not the best I've had. The croissant had a 'commercially made' feel to it, instead of the 'gourmet handmade' feel. Quite a many cafes-boulangeries in Pune serve excellent croissants. Compared to those, this was a let down. Request: Theo's please, please get an OTG and train your staff to use it for croissants, sandwiches, puffs and patties. Pretty please!



Next, the Roast Meat Sandwich (Buff). Frikkin' EXCELLENT! 🀀 The flavours were spicy, tangy with a superb hit of mustard. This one is a MUST TRY! Mum and I were totally fida over this! 🀀 I'd go back for this time and again. 



Lastly, we were served the Non-veg Quiche. While the quiche was truly very nice the filling seemed more 'Bechamel-ly' than an 'Egg-Custard'. I will not fault it taste-wise coz it was absolutely delish! Ample chicken and cheese with a gorgeous peppery hit. This was another winner! 😍



Theo's only had bottles of Raw Juice. An addition of a small variety of drinks would be great!



Getting on to the goodies we brought home, I'm not a big fan of Caramel or Choco Chips which is why the ultra rich Millionaire Brownies did not work for me. Let me add though, this is just a matter of individual taste coz if you are a caramel and choco chip fan, you're gonna love them. The Walnut Brownies, for me, have always been out and out winners. I love 'em! 



The Chicken Cheese Patties were so darn scrumptious. A gorgeous light puff casing with chicken and cheese in thick Bechamel sauce; they hadn't been stingy with the chicken or the cheese. These patties have always been superb! 



The Dense Loaf was just as decadent as the ones I used to bring back to Pune, from their Mumbai Cusrow Baug outlet. Mum, dad and yours truly polished off the loaf in one sitting at 'choi-time'. Truly stellar this!πŸ‘ŒπŸ»



What needs to be looked into at the new Pune branch.
  1. The staff needs more training. I asked the server, 'What's the quiche of the day?' He replied, 'Veg and Non-veg?' I repeated my question saying, 'Okay but what kind (as in filling)?' Same reply. So i finally said, 'Bhai, samajh gayi non-veg aur veg, but filling kya hai? Again, 'Ma'am, one is veg and one is non-veg'. If i did not have such scanty hair, I would've torn my hair out at this stage. πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Finally he got my drift and said, chicken, mushroom, cheese. Finally! It was exasperating and fun at the same time. 😁 
  2. Theo-Pune definitely needs an OTG. 
  3. Some more drinks on the menu. Even simple ones like Ice Teas (ready from a packet or freshly made), Fresh Lime Soda and a few cans of soft drinks.
Except for the croissant, the food at Theo's was great. I cannot wait to go back and try some more stuff. I know I'm harping 😝 but hopefully they'll get an OTG for the croissants by then. πŸ˜‰

Damages for the afternoon was INR 2252. Do give Theobroma a try, you won't come away disappointed. I never have!

Address: Shop No 3-4, Ground Floor, Ganga Commerce, North Main Road, Koregaon Park, Pune
Tel: +91 7045784522


I've clicked it at this weird angle because I kinda broke a wee bit of the cake from the other side while trying to get it on a plate. Clumsy me! 


Theobroma Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: