Pages

Thursday 20 June 2019

Multi-Purpose Masala


When I posted this on Instagram and my FB timeline, little did I know friends would ask me for this basic recipe. I never ever thought I’d be asked to post it, which is why I merely clicked one photograph of the finished product. The other (process) pics you see on my blog are cheat pics. I merely picked them up from my other recipes to give my readers a generalized idea of how the recipe progresses.

I use this masala mix for various dishes. It comes in handy when I have to make Akoori (or Bhurji), Sali Par Eda, Dal/s, Masala Bhaat or even Prawn Patio. When you’re in a rush, you can use it as a base for various meat dishes too. This recipe is sure to lessen your burden in the kitchen when you are hard pressed for time. 😊

Ingredients:

6 large onions, finely chopped
6 to 7 green chilies, slit and finely chopped
7 to 8 large tomatoes, halve and grate, discard skin
1½ teaspoon cumin seeds
3 heaped teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
4 teaspoons red chili powder (I use MDH Deghi Mirch)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
2½ teaspoons Parsi Sambhar Masala (optional or buy it online)
1 teaspoon Parsi Dhanshak masala (optional or buy it online)
2 teaspoons coriander-cumin powder
Salt to taste (plus a wee bit extra)
Oil as needed (and a big extra splash to preserve the masala)

Method:

1.    In a wok/kadai heat oil; splutter cumin seeds.
2.    Add the chopped onions and green chilies.



3.   Fry the onions till they are soft, translucent and begin to turn brown at the edges. (You may also fry them to a light golden, if you so wish)



4.    Add the ginger-garlic and fry for a few seconds.



5.    Add the chili powder, turmeric powder, Parsi Sambhar masala, Dhanshak masala, coriander-cumin powder and salt. Sauté for a few seconds or until the masala is well blended. Do not allow the masala to burn.



6.    Add the grated tomatoes.
7.    Cook until the tomatoes are rid of the sour raw tomato smell, the tomatoes turn mushier and are well blended in the oil.



8.    When large flecks of oil begin to surface over the masala, cook the masala for an extra two to three minutes on medium flame, stirring intermittently, until most of the oil begins rising to the top.



9.    Check seasoning and add extra if needed and simmer for a few more seconds.
10. Take the masala off the stove. Empty it out into a tight-lidded stainless-steel box.



11. Allow it to cool… thoroughly. Do NOT close the lid before it cools as it will create moisture within the vessel and, resultantly, the masala will not keep too long.

Chef’s Notes:

1.    Feel free to experiment with various variations. A few examples: I add diced potatoes and a cube (or two) of Chicken stock to this masala when I make masala bhaat/khichdee. For the Prawn Patio I merely add prawns and adjust the sweet and sour flavour once the prawns are cooked. To make Sali par Eda, I heat some of this masala, then add water to it depending on the amount of Sali I am using, add Sali, check the seasoning and make Sali Par Eda as usual.
2.    Please feel free to adjust the spices depending on your tolerance level for spice. I usually keep this masala a tad salty, spicy and oily. That way when use it I merely adjust the spices and seasoning a wee bit (or not at all). The oil and salt also act as preservatives. This masala easily keeps, in the fridge, for a month.
3.    Always use a dry spoon when you handle this masala. A wet spoon is sure to give you a vessel full of mould-y masala within a few days.
4.    Alternately, you may use chopped tomatoes, but I prefer the texture of masala with grated tomatoes. In case you decide to use chopped tomatoes, please ensure they are cooked until completely mushy and are devoid of excess moisture.
5.    This quantity makes approximately one kilo of Multi-Purpose masala. Keep it all in one big container or divide it into 5 boxes of 200 grams, as individual use, for various recipes. 200 grams works perfectly if you are cooking a dal or a meat dish for a family of four.
6.    You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. How long does it stay fresh? Should I refrigerate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It will keep for a month in the fridge. I request you to read the 'Chef's Notes'. It will give you a clearer picture with regard to how the masala is to be handled. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete