Pages

Saturday 1 February 2020

Baked Yogurt


I’d made and clicked this in 2015; I’m posting this in 2020. *sheepish look* How do I remember? A right click on a photograph gives details of each photograph, that’s how. Five years I’ve had this recipe in my food folder. The damn procrastinator in me just wouldn't let go. I’ve finally thrown out the procrastinating bugger (for now). *evil grin*

I am also posting a few pics of the Baked Yogurt I baked a few days ago. The crockery varies a bit because I'm posting pics from 2015 and 2020. 

This recipe was handed down to me by someone years ago and the credit for this recipe goes to that person. For the life of me, I do not recollect the name of the person. I can say, though, it turns out beautifully, each and every time. 

Ingredients:

1 cup hung curd or Greek Yogurt
1 cup condensed milk
1 cup fresh cream
A pinch of saffron strands
Almonds, slivered
Pistachios, slivered


Method:

  1. Lightly roast the saffron for 15 to 20 seconds. Remove from fire. Cover lightly with a muslin cloth and allow it to cool.
  2. Crush the saffron roughly, not too fine.



  3. In a bowl mix together hung curd/Greek yogurt, condensed milk and fresh cream. Use an electric hand blender (very gently) or a whisk to ensure the mixture is smooth.



  4. Add in the roughly crushed saffron
  5. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
  6. Remove the mixture in an oven-proof dish.
  7. In a large oven tray add water to serve as a double boiler.
  8. Place the oven tray in the preheated oven.



  9. Place the oven-proof dish with the yogurt mix in the water. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 6 minutes.
  10. At the 6-minute mark, open the oven door and quickly sprinkle the slivered almonds and pistachios on it.
  11. Shut the oven door and continue baking for 8 to 9 minutes.



  12. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. It may be served at room temperature or you may refrigerate it and serve it cold.

Chef Notes:

  1. Please use bland curd for this recipe. The curd should not be sour or the sweet kind. These days lazy ol' me opts for ready tubs of Greek yogurt.
  2. Hang the curd to get rid of most of the moisture but do not dry it out completely. If you are using Greek yogurt, of course, you eliminate the 'curd hanging' process. 
  3. I’ve timed the bake process based on the proportions (I wasn’t given the bake time) it takes anywhere between 12 to 14 minutes to set in the oven (depending on the oven).
  4. Check to see if it has set by inserting a knife into it. If it does not come out clean continue baking for a minute more.
  5. You may sprinkle the slivered nuts midway at the 6-minute bake mark, or you may sprinkle them, as a topping, once the yogurt is fully baked. If you choose to sprinkle them after the yogurt is baked, gently roast the almonds and pistachios before sprinkling them.
  6. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.







2 comments: