Pages

Thursday 9 April 2020

Creamy Coconut Milk Prawn Curry



The mushroom version of this recipe was shared by my friend, Ravneet Arora, at a food forum, at Facebook. That was my first attempt at making a coconut milk curry. One day, the carnivore in me decided to omit mushrooms and add prawns instead. The result was stunning! For sharing the base recipe, Ravneet, thank you ever so much! <3

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon oil 
1 -1½ cups spring onions, chopped thick
1-1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste 
1 teaspoon turmeric powder 
Salt to taste
400 grams prawns, cleaned and quartered
400 mils thick coconut milk 
1 heaped teaspoon coriander powder, roasted
1 level teaspoon jeera/cumin powder, roasted
½ -1 teaspoon amchur/dry mango powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper powder



Method:

1.    Heat oil in a kadai, add onions and sauté along with ginger-garlic paste until soft and ginger-garlic is cooked.



2.    Add prawns, salt, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder and cumin powder, sauté on high heat till prawns are semi-cooked.



3.    Add coconut milk and cook until prawns are nearly done. Keep stirring continuously. 
4.    Add dry mango powder, cook for another minute. The prawns should be perfectly done at this point. Serve with soft, steamed rice.



Chef’s Notes:

1.    You can use a 400 mils tin of coconut milk. You can also use coconut milk powder to make coconut milk. I used 80 grams Maggi Coconut Milk powder to 400 mils water. 
2.    I had the curry with plain white rice, but I urge you all to try a small bowl of the curry just by itself. I promise you will love the flavor. 
3.    From experience, let me add; this curry is beyond excellent when had fresh. I had a wee bit leftover and I did not enjoy it when I reheated it the next day. Somehow the flavour and coconut milk texture was just not the same.
4.    Please try not to overcook the prawns. Keep all the prep ready (coconut milk - mango powder) and rest assured the prawns will turn out perfect.  
5.    You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.



No comments:

Post a Comment