Pages

Friday 7 August 2020

Hosang Grandpa’s Masala Ni Khichree



There was a time, as a kid, when I believed my paternal grandfather, Hosang, to be a stern man. As I grew older, we went on to be great friends. I realized he was actually a damn cool hombre. We’d play carrom, rummy, and board games. There were times when we’d wear peak caps and watch cricket matches together. We’d place bets for 5 bucks (don’t you dare judge us 😝), and he’d watch me drool over Kapil Dev. He’d tease me, in Gujarati, by saying, ‘Tane su eh datro ne bobro gamech” (Translation: Why in the world do you like this guy with big teeth, who can barely speak right – he meant the line, “Palmolive ka jawab nahi”). Yes, such was my grandpa, and these are a few of the many wonderful memories I hold close to my heart, right to this day.

From the time when I was around 11 or 12, I remember grandpa cooking this Khichree for lunch. This was his once a week affair and I loved the khichree he cooked for us. When I began experimenting in the kitchen, at the age of 13, I learnt to cook this. Those were simple times and food cooked at home was basic but cooked with so much love. Gramps would merely add rice, masalas, and potatoes. Over the years I began adding a few extra ingredients and as of now, this is how I make it. This recipe is, of course,  dedicated to “Gramps”; forever, my partner in crime. ️ Oh yes, we'd gang up and were never up to any good. *evil grin*

Ingredients:

1¾ cups basmati rice
4 medium potatoes, cut into large 1 - 1½ inch cubes
2 large carrots, cut into large cubes
200 grams peas (I used a packet of frozen peas)
 2 onions, cut to a small dice
2 chilies, cut fine
4-5 tablespoons clarified butter
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds
2 heaped teaspoons red chili powder (I use MDH Deghi Mirch Powder)
1 teaspoon Parsi Sambhar Masala (optional but would be great if you can procure it)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
2 chicken (or beef) stock cubes, crumbled
Salt to taste
3¾ - 4 cups water

Method:

1.    Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
2.    Add onions and green chilies and sauté until the onions turn soft and pink and lose their sharpness.



3.    Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté it well.
4.    Add chili powder, turmeric powder, Parsi Sambhar Masala, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala, stock cubes and salt. Sauté well but carefully until masalas lose their rawness. Do not allow the spices to burn.



5.    Add the rice, potatoes, carrots, peas and give the ingredients a mix.
6.    Add 3¾ to 4 cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
7.    After two whistles, lower heat, cook for 2 more minutes and then shut off the stove.
8.    Allow the cooker to cool down and release pressure by itself. Open the cooker when cool, empty the khichree into a serving bowl and serve with accompaniments like mango pickle, prawn pickle, chundo and papads. 😉


Chef Notes:

1.    Khichdee or khichree, they’re both the same. Most Parsi’s pronounce it as Khichree.
2.    Use any rice you are comfortable using. You don’t compulsorily have to use basmati. Usually, for other Khichree’s I use Indrayani rice, but I stick to Basmati when I cook this particular khichree.
3.    You can use clarified butter or oil or a combination of the two but, of course, ghee goes best with Khichree.
4.    If you are a vegetarian, do use vegetarian stock cubes. It does impart a lovely flavour to the rice.
5.    IMPORTANT: Stock cubes are always salty so please add salt with utmost caution or you’ll be left holding a salty Khichree. I truly cannot stress this point enough.
6.    If you don’t want the khichree too soft, I’d suggest you use 3¾ cups of water. If you prefer the khichree soft go ahead and add 4 cups. Also, do remember this is a Khichree, it’s not a pulao so the the rice need not be separate. Khichdee rice is always a tad soft.
7.    There are times when I add a cinnamon stick, a few black peppercorns, a cardamom and 3-4 cloves when I fry the onions. You could do that too.
8.    Add or subtract veggies as you please. This is one adjusting baby (read: Khichree). It will not judge you for going berserk on it. 😉
9.    Ensure you cut the veggies into large cubes as this khichree is pressure cooked. You don’t want the veggies turning to mush and that is precisely what’ll happen if you chop them small.
10. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes, and/or my photographs, on any blogsite or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.


No comments:

Post a Comment