Al Faham Chicken with Al Faham Curry Dip
This same recipe can also be made using paneer (cottage cheese) or baby potato (pricked with a fork) if you’re a vegetarian but of course the carnivore in me just had to go with chicken. ;-)
500 gms chicken, boneless breast pieces (I preferred to use drumsticks and thigh pieces)
1 cup curd/plain yogurt
2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
2-3 teaspoons Al Faham Masala (Zaiqa brand)
- If using boneless chicken breasts, slit the breast to flatten it to a big flat piece and hammer lightly with meat mallet to flatten. (I put light slits on the drumsticks and thigh pieces as we usually do when making tandoori chicken)
- Beat the curd to smoothen it. Add ginger-garlic paste, Al Faham masala to the curd. Marinate the chicken in the curd masala for 4 hours (You may marinate it longer. I marinated it for 7 hours)
- Remove the excess marinade and grill the chicken on a bbq, or under the grill in an oven or pan-grill it on a stove until the chicken is cooked and juicy. (I pan grilled it in a non-stick pan with about 5 tablespoons oil)
- When the chicken is nearly done baste chicken
with butter to heighten the flavor of the chicken. Serve with lemon wedges
and salad of your choice. (I used the remaining marinade to made a spicy
curry dip and served that with the chicken).
Al Faham Curry Dip
Leftover Al Faham marinade in which the chicken had been marinated
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small green chilies, finely chopped
1 large tomato, cut in half, grated
¾-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or as desired)
Salt, only if needed
1 tablespoon butter
Sugar to taste
2 sprigs of coriander, chopped
- Heat butter, gently. Do not allow it to burn.
- Add onions, green chili and fry till golden brown.
- Add cayenne pepper and sauté.
- Add grated tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are cooked and specks of butter appear on the surface of the gravy.
- Add the leftover marinade, mix and allow to cook over gentle to medium heat till gravy thickens to a ‘thick dip’ consistency.
- Check for salt. Add sugar to balance out the flavor of the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Al Faham chicken.
- The proportion of marinade was quite a lot after draining the chicken from it, for grilling, and I didn't want the marinade to go waste hence decided to make a spicy dip from the remaining marinade.
- Al Faham BBQ/Grill is a special blend of spice I bought online. It’s a spice blend manufactured by Zaiqa – The Spice Store. To buy their spices visit their Face book page ‘Zaiqa - The Spice Store’ and message Anisa Arif for the same.
- You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.