Pages

Friday 28 February 2014

Murgh Shahenshahi

Murgh Shahenshahi

Creamy in texture, spicy and delicious, that’s what this dish is all about. I loved it as soon as I saw the photograph and read the recipe. I knew for sure I was going to try this one. Having made it, I don’t for a minute regret attempting it. I have given my own small tweak to the recipe in regard to dry sautéing the onion paste as mentioned in the chef notes but the original recipe belongs to my friend Seema Hussain.

Ingredients:

1 kilo chicken, cut into desired pieces
¼ cup ghee/clarified butter or oil
2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
3 tablespoons cashew nut paste
2 teaspoons poppy seed paste
¼ cup fresh cream, smoothened
2-3 tomatoes, pureed in a blender
2 tablespoons onion paste
Salt, to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red Kashmiri chili powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
4-5 green cardamoms
3-4 cloves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
5-6 black peppercorns
1 tablespoon lemon juice
10-12 whole cashew nuts
3-4 hard-boiled eggs, halved or quartered
1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
2-3 fresh green or red chilies

Method:

  1. In a wok heat ghee or oil. Fry the whole cashew nuts to light golden brown. Take them out of the ghee/oil, drain on a kitchen towel and keep aside.
  2. In the same ghee/oil, add green cardamoms, ginger-garlic paste, onion paste, cook till it changes color and darkens to golden brown.
  3. Add chicken pieces, whole spices, turmeric powder, both chili powders, sauté for a few minutes.
  4. Add blended tomatoes and sauté on medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked and the raw smell is no longer evident.
  5. Add poppy seed paste, cashew nut paste and stir well to ensure the gravy and chicken is well blended. Cook covered on low heat till chicken is tender.
  6. Add smoothened fresh cream; simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Add lemon juice, coriander leaves and whole green chilies. Give it a gentle stir and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Remove in a serving dish, garnish with boiled eggs and fried cashew nuts. Serve with naan or paratha. 
Chef Notes:

  1. If you stay in a country that has strict law in regard to the use of poppy seeds, please use extra cashew paste in it’s place.
  2. The ‘chili’ content for this is perfect, but, if you prefer it spicier or otherwise, feel free to adjust the chili powders to suit your taste buds.
  3. I did not use plain onion paste. I ground one big onion and dry sautéed to get 2 tablespoons paste. I feel it gives the gravy a better texture and a more vibrant onion flavor. 
  4. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment