Pages

Monday 28 April 2014

Burmese Golden Egg Curry


Burmese Golden Egg Curry

We Bawas (Parsees) love eggs. Be it boiled, fried, scrambled, akoori-bhurji or then the ‘par edu’ dishes for which we break eggs over any and every thing possible. The ‘E’ word is a very ‘O’ word for us Bawas :D Being the eccentric perfectionist that I am, I waited a couple of days until I could lay my paws on fish sauce because I refused to make this dish without it. I got the fish sauce yesterday afternoon. I knew nothing was going to stop me from making this dish today ;-)

Simple flavors bordering on tangy because of the tomatoes, the fried texture of perfectly golden eggs and that hint of fish sauce, they all come together so beautifully.

Ingredients:


6 eggs
100 mils refined oil
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 red onions, chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Mangal brand)
1 green chilies, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped

1¼ inch ginger, peeled and chopped 
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon fish sauce
4 tomatoes, chopped


Method:
  1. Boil the eggs and peel. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a wide pan over high heat. 
  3. Carefully slip the eggs into the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes covering pan with a lid. 
  4. Fry till golden in color on all sides. Remove eggs from the pan and drain on kitchen towel.
  5. Put the pan back on the hob; add the onions, shallots and cook for few minutes.
  6. Add salt, turmeric powder, curry powder, chilies, garlic, ginger and tomatoes. 
  7. Cook over medium heat till tomatoes are soft and sauce becomes smooth. Add little water during making sauce if necessary.
  8. Add fish sauce. 
  9. Add fried eggs.
  10. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with plain rice or parathas.
Chef’s Notes:
  1. I increased the number of chilies to three as I like the hit of spice in my mouth. If your taste buds can tolerate slightly high spice levels, I'd definitely advise you to use three chilies.
  2. The tomatoes I used were ripe and bright red but were sour, more so than what I prefer, I therefore added one teaspoon of sugar to the gravy to balance the flavor.
  3. I fried 5 eggs but I didn't fry one of them because I wanted to keep it pristinely clean for my blog pics. That’s the half egg you see in the center. 
  4. This recipe is courtesy Harry Punwani, a fellow foodie, a friend, at Facebook.
  5. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism. 






2 comments:

  1. Curry Looks so good. I love egg curry, my hubby is not a huge fan so the first thing i make when he is out of town is egg curry. I love the look of this burmeese curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, Finla. It was quite different from the regular egg curry we make at home. I feel the curry powder n the fish sauce made all the difference. If u give it a try please do let me know if the recipe worked for u. Would love to know.

      Delete