Pages

Saturday 18 April 2015

5 Spice… Quite bland, actually!

This review is slightly delayed but, what the heck, better late than never. I was in Mumbai a couple of weeks back and headed to 5 Spice (Fort branch) for lunch with family. The first impression was ghastly because we were a tad early and the restaurant was not set up for service. My impression did not change even after the restaurant was set for service. Still ghastly! Ambience equals zero!

We began with soup and stuck to tried and tested soups. Sweet corn chicken and sweet corn crab were our choices. Both were good, no complaints there. For starters we opted for Steamed Chicken wontons. The filling was palatable but the covering was doughy and leathery. We also called for Black Pepper Prawns. They were cooked to perfection! They weren’t rubbery or chewy. Another starter we tried was Crispy Chicken. It was average in taste and did not blow me away at all.

We skipped the mains as I had to head back to Pune the same afternoon but we did share a dessert, Death by Chocolate. I’ll happily give it a 10/10.

The glass in which they served Fresh Lime water was sticky. *Urghh!* The waiters were utterly clueless in regard to recommending food and in general. When I requested for a knife to eat with, the waiter gave me a blank look. *Sigh!* When I mimed the act of cutting the prawns on my plate, he gives me a shocked look and said, ‘oh! chakku?’ I felt like I had asked him for a Rampuri knife to gut him but I politely said ‘yes’ and left it at that. *Double sigh!* The restaurant needs to be cleaner and that definitely goes for the washroom too.

We paid approx 1700-something for the meal, with a 100 buck tip. They did not deserve a 10-15% tip. Did not take any photographs of the restaurant or the food for this review for trust me, you aren't missing anything. 

Food: 5/10
Ambience: 2/10
Service: 2/10 (I’m being polite)

No comments:

Post a Comment