Pages

Friday 10 June 2016

Krusty’s... An overload of deliciousness!!


Krusty's interior gives the feel of having walked into an American bistro/diner. During the day the restaurant is bright and vibrant because of the natural light that streams in through large glass windows. The place is also adequately lit for an evening meal. It sports a semi-open kitchen and their servers are knowledgeable, polite and very helpful.


New dishes are being incorporated into the menu at Krusty’s and a tasting for the same was on offer through a social media website. I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a seat at the table for this tasting, to try the new dishes from their menu. 


As soon as we arrived at the restaurant, one of the servers asked if they could get us something to drink. They had three choices on the drink menu: Iced Tea, a Ginger-Water Melon mocktail and an Orange-Passion fruit mocktail. I chose the Orange-Passion fruit mocktail and it was so refreshing that I refused to try the other two. I was told, though, that both the other drinks were also superb!


The first course began with Stuffed Chicken Meatballs with Spicy Tomato Sauce. I usually avoid ordering meatball in any restaurants because I always end up getting served dry, hard meatballs. At the tasting I did not have a choice and apprehensively cut into one. They were perfect! They were soft and juicy, oozing with molten cheese and slathered in delicious, spicy tomato sauce. I greedily went in for a second helping. I thought to myself; ‘if this dish is anything to go by on, then this evening is going to be a gastronomic delight!’ 


Another entree served was, Chicken on Sugarcane Sticks with Burnt Onion Hickory Smoked Sauce. The Chicken, by itself, was bland but when partnered with Burnt Onion Hickory Smoked Sauce, was a perfect match made in heaven, oppppss, I mean, kitchen. 



As I sat talking and connecting to like-minded foodie-souls, our second courses arrived at the table. We were served Blackened Chicken Salad with Fennel & Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette and Stone Baked Pizza of Hummus-Grilled Zucchini-Onion Compote-Feta-Rocket. I had a wee bit of the chicken from the salad which was nice; the carnivore in me, though, refused to allow raw greens on my plate hence this is a dish that I am certainly not qualified to review. From the talk going around the table, I surmised, though, that everyone did enjoy the salad. 


Initially, I was a tad disappointed that the pizza chosen for the tasting was a vegetarian one. However, the first bite had me do a 180* turn. The thin, crisp base, delicious hummus, beautifully grilled zucchini, crumbled feta, those shreds of rocket and that sweet moreish, beautifully balanced onion compote harmonized like Beethoven’s 9th symphony in my mouth. I made up for not having salad by having another slice of pizza, as did most of the others at the table. I think it is quite apparent that it was a BIG HIT with quite a many of us. 


The third course was Smoked Three pepper Tortellini with Sage Beurre Noisette and Stuffed Grilled Chicken with Red Wine Shallot Balsamic Glaze. The Tortellini was delicate and beautifully crafted; a gentle press of the fork was enough to cut through the silky parcels. To me, that says so much about the quality of the pasta dough. Taste wise, too, I could find absolutely no fault with it. I was already getting quite full by then and had two other dishes to go through hence did not request for more tortellini. 


The Stuffed Grilled Chicken with Red Wine Shallot Balsamic Glaze was the only mediocre dish on the Summer Menu. I say this with much sadness because it had the ability to be a very warm and satisfying dish. The glaze (generously) poured over the chicken was yummy and the chicken was well seasoned but the dish was a letdown for one and one reason only: the chicken was simply too dry and overcooked. I have to say, though, the potato mash served with the chicken was simply awesome! If the chef works on ensuring that the chicken is perfectly cooked, then this dish will also be a sure-shot winner. 


The piece de resistance of the entire meal was the Cannoli of Mango Ricotta Mascarpone & Coconut. The plating of the dessert was so gorgeous that for a few moments all I wanted to do was eat with the eyes (my own and through the lens of my camera). The Cannoli was crisp and the Mango Ricotta Mascarpone piped into the Cannoli was smooth. It was sheer magic on the palate!


All through the evening Rohhan, his beautiful mum, Vidya, and the servers were extremely attentive towards their guests. Rohhan and his mum, intermittently, came to the table for feedback but they also, very gracefully, gave us our time to chat within ourselves thereby making this tasting a very, very pleasant experience. This tasting was priced at Rs 750/- per person and it was well worth the money spent.
Food: 4.8/5
Service: 5/5
Ambiance: 5/5

Tel: 020 65000232 / 020 60202252
Address: G-101, Ground Floor, KP Annex, Kapila Matrix, Mundhwa, Pune

No comments:

Post a Comment