Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Stanley’s Food Box – A Scrumptious Affair!



A couple of weeks back a gentleman (Stanley) who I’d been in contact with on Facebook (for over a year - but we’d never met) messaged to ask if I was going to be in Camp area the following day. I told him I actually would be, as I had errands to run, with mum. He requested we meet up there as he wanted to give me some Pork Sorpotel and Goan Prawn Curry. 


I’ve known about Stanley and his cooking skills for quite a while via the food forums I ‘stalk’.  *evil grin* I’ve been itching to order from him for ever so long.  

Stanley is a home-chef and I have known of his ‘home-kitchen’ ever since I read Uday Potdar’s review of Stan’s Food-box. As he is based at Hinjewadi for all the months that I’d been craving to order from him, mere dil ke armaan aasuo mein beh chale the. πŸ˜‰ That is, precisely, why there was no way I was going to turn down his kind offer. We met at Coffee House the following day. In tow, was his pretty and petite wife, Mekhala. We sat talking about food for nearly an hour. Yes, that invariably happens when I meet people who are passionate about food.


Cut straight to the scene where I return home...
The aroma of the sorpotel hit me as soon as I opened the food container. Making Pork Sorpotel is a labour of love because it is time consuming. The pork meat, pork fat and liver have to be chopped into tiny cubes/pieces; it can’t be any other way. Oh, do not cringe at the mention of pork fat and liver; it adds so much depth to the flavour of the sorpotel. *drool* The spicy-tangy flavor also has to be spot on for it to be stellar and this was just that! I’d brought home some crusty Brun bread to pair with the Sorpotel. I loved the robust flavours!


I cooked some Jeera Rice at home and we ate the Goan Prawn Curry with that. There are many places in Pune that make a good Goan Curry but take it from someone who has tried Goan Curry at various places in the city, nothing comes close to the curry made by Stanley. It brought back memories of the Goan Prawn Curry that my Rita bai (God bless her soul) made many moons ago. That familiar flavour hit my taste buds after years. I could have cried with joy.

I shamelessly pleaded with Stanley to get a delivery system in place for greedy souls like me who live 30 kilometers away. He promised he’d do his best to get that going. Until then, I guess he will be working hard in his kitchen and dishing out awesomeness to those lucky enough to stay close by. Sigh, some people have all the luck!

 

Stanley told me he merely brought me the Sorpotel and the Prawn Curry as he knew I’d been patiently waiting to try his food for months. He, in fact, specifically told me no write up was needed or was necessary but there is no way I could not pen this. Good food should be eaten and spoken about and good chefs should be given their due recognition.

Friends, Indians, countrymen.. If your heart craves Goan food, look no further! You can thank me later! πŸ˜‰

Shine on, Stanley, shine on!
P.S: Please get that delivery system going. I need more of that Pork Sorpotel, Prawn Curry and I'd also love to try the Pork Chilli Fry that I read on your menu. 😊

By the way, you may buzz Stanley on these numbers: +91 9773134126 / +91 9821520693

2 comments:

  1. Thrity Yazdi Tantra ' Sigh, some people have all the luck!'? I think you r very lucky Kainaaz, when 'mere dil ke armaan aasuo mein beh chale the. πŸ˜‰' you got the offer!! that was DREAM COME TRUE πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹...Bless you stars and stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thrity! Yes, i am, indeed, luckily (touch wood) that my wish/dream to try Stanley's cooking came true. Thank you ever so much for your good wishes and blessings. Lots of love to you and yours. :)

      Delete