Pages

Saturday 25 May 2019

Oh! Calcutta - New Delhi - Dil Khush Kar Diya!


When in New Delhi, I met a school friend (she was once a Mumbaikar - we've been together since kindergarten - touchwood) who resides in Delhi with her family. We met over breakfast and, of course, we discussed food. She happened to mention that Hilsa/Illish was available in the market which meant Oh! Calcutta would definitely have it on their menu. She suggested i give the Illish at OC a try before bidding Delhi 'adieu'.



I'll have you know, I have always steered clear of Illish because it's a very bony fish. But... I happened to be near Nehru Place where Oh! Calcutta has a branch hence decided to heed her suggestion.



We ordered Smoked Hilsa Boneless and Bhapa Illish Boneless. While we were waiting for the food to arrive at the table, the Captain sent us complimentary glasses of Aam Panna. The Panna was perfect; tangy with a hint of sweet. They also served us some fried papads with a yogurt dip and spicy, roasted tomato chutney. While i did not touch the yogurt, the tomato chutney was fab!



The Smoked Hilsa was perfectly done and lightly slathered in a delicious sauce. As it was in the appetizer category, it was served with scrumptious, crisp fries and steamed veggies. The fish was fresh; that fabulous hint of 'fish oil' came across beautifully. I'd, undoubtedly, score this a 10 on 10.



I'm not a big fan of mustard hence was a tad apprehensive about the Bhapa Illish. I've had Bhapa Illish before and i haven't enjoyed it. When i saw the dish, i wondered how I'd get myself to eat such a 'mustard-y' fish. I hesitantly took a bite and all i could manage to do was moan in gastronomic ecstasy. The mustard was perfectly balanced. It had a definite sharpness to it and a tinge of bitterness but in no way did it feel excessive to the palate. Oh my God! I loved it! This dish, too, gets a perfect 10 from me.



By the way, the fish was indeed boneless. I could not find a single bone in either of the dishes. If served boneless, Illish is definitely a fish I could fall in love with.

Each dish cost INR 975 plus government taxes and service charge. The total bill paid was INR 2201. 

If the food I ate at OC is anything to go by, I truly hope they someday reopen a branch in Pune. I know I'd be a regular there.

Location 1 - Address: Ground Floor, E Block, Opp Satyam Cinema, Nehru Place, New Delhi
Tel: 011 26464182 / +91 9310149806

Location 2 - Address: 9, Ground Floor, Cyber Hub, Opp Gateway Towers, DLF Cyber City, Gurgaon
Tel: 0124 4948512 / +91 9310149804

Oh! Calcutta Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

A couple of extra pics..




No comments:

Post a Comment