Pages

Saturday 26 March 2016

Gourmet Eat In - Cravings fulfilled!


I’m told, the Gourmet Eat In concept is a quite well known abroad. A young and enterprising married couple, Swati and Tanuj, have recently introduced this concept to Pune. You choose the Gourmet Kit you wish to cook (and eat) from the variety of Gourmet Kits available at their website. They then send you a neatly packed carton of all ingredients required for that dish, all measured to perfection, along with the recipe. One only has to follow the recipe and use the ingredients (some raw, some cooked) as instructed and the gourmet meal is ready without much effort.


Gourmet Eat In has a variety of selections to please all palates. It begins with breakfast kits of Pancakes with Strawberry Compote and Mediterranean Style Eggs, to salads and kebabs for the first course. It edges into the main course with burgers, pasta, pizza, Thai curries and select Indian dishes. The finale to the gourmet kits end in dessert with a Cheat’s Tiramisu, Death by Chocolate and a few other sweet treats. They also have a ‘Popular’ and a ‘Barbeque’ section on their menu. The Barbeque section has a good selection of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.

The kits I chose to try were the Pancakes with Strawberry Compote from the breakfast kit, Tandoori Nights (Non-vegetarian) Pizza from the main course and the marinated chicken drumsticks from the Barbeque menu.


The Pancakes with the strawberry compote turned out really well. I wish, through, that they had saved me some time and given me readymade strawberry compote; to simply reheat, with a dash of water added. It did not take me too long to make the compote but, readymade compote would have made my life simpler, which is always appreciated. The quantity of the pancake mix was sufficient for seven regular sized pancakes. The compote, too, was adequate for seven pancakes and draped a fantastic sweet ‘n sour veil over the fluffy pancakes. I would happily rename the dish ‘Breakfast Bliss’. 


The Tandoori Nights (non-vegetarian) Pizza gave me sleepless nights. Sigh! It was easiest pizza I have ever made in my entire life and, damn, was it good, or was it good! Naah, it was neither. It was excellent! The pizza sauce had that wonderful herby hint of oregano and basil that tickled my taste buds delightfully. The quantity of cheese given was sufficient to satisfy even this cheese obsessed Bawi. In fact, I asked Swati whether they had sent me this generous helping of cheese because I was reviewing their menu. She replied that, that was the actual quantity sent in the Tandoori Nights Pizza kit which made me do the happy puppy dance! 


When I was to receive the second kit I placed an order for the very same pizza. I just could not resist the temptation! This time, of course, I insisted I pay for the pizza. (Swati was kind enough to say, ‘you don’t have to pay for the pizza’, but my Parsee genes would not allow that).


Lastly, I decided to try the Marinated Chicken Drumsticks. They have three marinades available for these ‘shapely’ chicken legs. :-) I chose the Indian Tandoori marinade. The chicken was very well marinated and all I had to do was line a baking tray with a double sheet of aluminum foil (optional, unless you are obsessed with your bake ware: I am) , brush with butter, arrange the drumsticks over it, cover with a foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then I removed the foil, basted the chicken with the remaining butter and baked for another 10 minutes. Voila! Dinner was ready! 


The drumsticks were delicious! The marinating had ensured that the heat of the spices ran deep into those babies and the meat was so succulent that at the slightest touch of the fork it fell of the bone in delectable juicy morsels. The carnivore in me rejoiced!

Gourmet Eat In kits are the perfect solution for people who come home tired after a busy day at work, for overworked and hassled mothers or for bachelors who like to cook but don’t (or can’t) because it’s too much trouble. Healthy, delicious, gourmet home-cooked meals don’t get anymore easier than this. Do give Swati, or Tanuj, a call and give these Gourmet Kits a try. You won’t be disappointed!

Note: As the couple is just starting out on this venture, there were a few small negatives which I pointed out to them in terms of recipe, cooking technique, ingredients, etc. I haven't mentioned them in this review for the simple reason that they have already been noted and the changes incorporated. I think that says a lot about them and their desire to make a success of this venture.

Swati and Tanuj Jindal
Gourmet Eat In
Click here for Gourmet Eat In 
Contact: +91 8888057841

No comments:

Post a Comment