Pages

Friday 10 February 2017

The Seafood Binge Continues... Fish Curry Rice!!


We had, had seafood just a day back (please check the review posted before this one at my blog) but for some reason ‘iss dil ne maanga more’ hence, yet again, we honed in on a seafood restaurant for dinner. This time we opted for Fish Curry Rice.

I messaged Sandesh, the owner of FCR, who guided me to their online ordering website and very patiently and politely answered the many, many questions I asked while placing my order.

The dishes I ordered were, Prawn Rawa Fry, Rawas Rawa Fry, Tisrya (Clam) Masala, Crab Masala, Prawn Rice, Bangda Curry (Karwadi, with Tirphal), Sol Kadi and Dashmi (rice chapattis).

The Rawas Rawa Fry, (as one can see from the photograph) was merely fried without the coating of Rawa (semolina), as requested from the menu. The coating/exterior was entirely different because it lacked the Rawa coating, but the fish was very well marinated and texture of the fried fish was spot on!


The Prawn Rawa Fry deserves a very special mention. This food order travelled nearly 8 kilometres to reach my residence but the prawns were fried so beautifully that the rawa crumb on the prawn remained crisp while the prawn within was perfectly succulent. To have achieved that in a home delivery order is extremely commendable!

The Tisrya Masala was the STAR of the day. The coconut masala in which the clams were cooked was outstanding and the freshness of the Tisrya (clams) have to be eaten to be believed. This was the best Tisrya Masala I have had in a long, long time. If there was a way in which I could rate this 11/10, I would do so in a jiffy! This was a superlative dish!


The Crab Masala was another winner. The crab was cooked to perfection in a delicious masala. For me, the reason why Fish Curry Rice wins hands down is because each masala base and each curry preparation is different in taste; depending on the type of fish or crustacean used. No two curries bases or masala are similar. The masala used for the tisrya was way different from that of the crab. The crab masala boldly held its own stance. Delicious is an understatement!


The Prawn Rice was very flavoursome and they were not at all stingy with the quantity of prawns. There is one complaint though! All prawns were cleaned and deveined, except one. I put that down to human error which can happen at time to anyone, just that this error could well have led to the ‘loosies’. Luckily, I’m in the habit of keeping a close watch on the prawns when ordered from a restaurant hence caught the ‘nasty bugger’ in time. ;)

I ordered Dashmi’s (rice chapattis) for the very first time. They are thin and soft and I wish I had ordered more than four. Sigh! As for the Sol Kadi, the hit of ginger came through beautifully, all the while merging gracefully with the subtle, yet noticeable overtones of kokum and coconut milk. Once again, as the night before, I had the Sol Kadi with the Prawn Rice. Take my word for it, the combination is mind-blowing! The leftover Sol Kadi went into the fridge and while, the next afternoon, my family chose to drink it, I had it with steamed white rice. (Oh! Bite me; ab aadat pad gayi toh pad gayi ;) )

Each and every dish was very well made and I could not find fault with anything. It was an outstanding meal. Perfect in every way!

Sandesh, thank you ever so much for executing my order to such perfection! Also, heartfelt thanks for your patience in regard to answering the million questions I threw at you before placing the order. It was truly very kind of you to have been so patient!

Food: 4.5/5 (missed the 5 mark because of that un-deveined prawn and the omission of rawa in my Rawas Rawa Fry)
Service (online/over the phone/delivery): 5/5
Ambiance: Had the food home delivered. If I rate the ambiance 5/5 people are going to accuse me of being biased and corrupt. :P :D

P.S: At the cost of sounding repetitive... Photographs of home delivered food are never up to the mark because I have hounds barking at my feet, telling me to hurry the f#@k up as they tend to get into the ‘hungry mode’ as soon as they see food; more so, if it’s sea food. :D 

They have two branches, with a third one on its way at Baner.
The two branches are:

This is the first branch they opened; a simple, no frills branch
- 586, Gangadhar Apartment, Near Kanya Shala, Kelkar Road, Narayan Peth, Off Budhwar Peth, Pune
- Tel: 020 30162049

This is the second branch; this is an air conditioned branch
- Intersection of Canal Road and Law College Road, Law College Road, Pune
- Tel: 020 30162048


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete