Pages

Monday 20 August 2018

The Secret Chef Next Door – A Secret No More!




A long read but I promise you'll drool..

I’ve written about Sajjani Nair (The Secret Chef Next Door) earlier and even though I order from her time and again, I don’t always write about it. It would get too repetitive. In the past few months I have tried various new goodies which is why it is time to pen again.

To make for an easier read, I have used point format for this write up.


- Focaccia Bread: Simply the best in town. Period! I usually order this with stews or gravies and I always buy extra bread. I gently warm it, grate some cheese and warm it for a minute more when I have it for brekkie the next day.  😉 


- Bacon Sausage Casserole: The quality of sausage and bacon used is superb and that immediately comes across. The beautiful smokiness of the bacon with the luscious gravy is a carnivore’s dream come true. That gravy is to die for! Focaccia dunked in gravy, with a forkful of sausage and bacon… ummm!


- Slow Cooker Beef Stew: I could write odes to this one. Anyone who knows their food, knows that stews are ideally cooked a day ahead and eaten the next day. Reason being, the flavours always intensify. The stew goes on from being a great stew to an excellent one. Sajjani always cooks this a day ahead and sends this dish cold. She does not re-heat it because that would overcook the beef. She leaves that to the client to ensure the texture of the meat remains intact. You have to eat this to believe how stellar it is in quality.


- Potato Mash: I’m the Bawi who perpetually drives Sajjani bonkers because I want a very buttery potato mash with all my stews and gravies. She very kindly obliges. A silken buttery mash, that dad and I simply cannot get enough of, is what I get from her kitchen. 😊


- Kerala Beef Chili Fry: Close your eyes and perceive with your mind's eye chunks beef cooked with beautifully roasted spices, coconut slivers, curry leaves and peppercorns; all sautéed to perfection in aromatic coconut oil. The aroma of the coconut oil hits your olfactory senses at each bite and all you want to do is take another bite and another and another. Sigh! God’s own dish from God’s own country; that’s how I term this. 😊


- Broccoli Parmesan Soup: Yes, you read right, broccoli soup. I hate broccoli, I will not eat it, but I love creamy broccoli soup. More so, when it’s paired with cheese. Hearty, velvety and ever so fulfilling for the soul; I loved it!


- Steak-Stout-Smoked Cheese & Caramelized Onions Pie: Sounds heavenly, doesn’t it? The combination is a killer! I’m a teetotaler but I don’t mind alcohol when used in food. The flavours of steak and stout come together like a match made in heaven. The smoked cheese gives off a fabulous ‘bacon-y’ whiff and the sweet caramelized onions cuts through all the rich flavours balancing them to perfection. The beautiful pie crust, too, plays its part and gently cocoons the pie filling. Such a gorgeous pie, this!


- Barbeque Beef: Sajjani happened to mention that she had barbequed a rump of beef. The glutton in me immediately requested her for a portion. My mind wandered into the world of BBQ Beef & Cheese sandwiches and that is exactly what I made for brekkie the next day. Breakfast for a carnivore does not get any better than this!


When Sajjani cooks for her clients she usually makes a wee bit extra. I, invariably, pester her to sell the extra to me when I’m in the mood for gourmet meals. Actually, I do that quite often. :P At times when I go the glutton route I can actually hear the nun from GOT ring the bell in me ear and chant, ‘shame-shame-shame’. *shameless evil grin*


- Lemon Tartlets: These are one bite tartlets and are like no other available anywhere in the city. The lemon curd for these tarts is hand beaten and no corn flour is used to thicken it. The beating process thickens the lemon curd. When you bite into these golden babies the lemon curd melts on your palate. Do not expect any decorative frills with regard to these babies. These babies are pretty enough by themselves. The bright shiny lemon curd sits prettily in the light, flaky pie tartlet and simply beckons you to bite into it. Sublime, truly sublime!


- Pigs In A Blanket: ‘Oinky’ sausages cozily cuddled in flaky pastry. Such simple flavours and yet, once again, because of the quality of sausages used, such a stunning appetizer.


- Barbeque Chicken Smoked Cheese Tarts and Broccoli Walnut Tarts: I’ve tried both these savoury tarts from Sajjani’s kitchen and for the bloody life of me, I can’t decide which one I like better. There have been times when this carnivore (yours truly) has ended up ordering more Broccoli Walnuts tarts than Barbeque Chicken tarts. You get my drift, right? While the chicken tarts are full-bodied in flavor, the creamy cheesy broccoli with the intermittent crunch of walnuts is sheer harmony to the palate.


Every dish that comes out of Sajjani’s kitchen is a chef-d’oeuvre. She has no fixed menu, and nor does she enjoy cooking a fixed menu day in and day out. I have never known her to sting on quality or quantity. She cooks with heart which is why my family patronize's Sajjani’s kitchen so often. 

Heartfelt thanks, Sajjani, for sharing the radiance so selflessly. There are so many known to me who are sure to join in, in extending their warm thanks to you for the work you so caringly put out for them. 

If ever you are in the mood for tarts, pies, classic soups, gourmet appetizers, roasts and more, reach out to Sajjani and experience the radiance that emits from her kitchen. Her contact number is +91 9960938121.

Some more photographs to drool over..













2 comments:

  1. You are a class apart! Your writing has a rare sensual appeal which most food bloggers crave for. I haven't had the good fortune of eating Sajjani's food, but you fed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dellnaz! Thank you ever so much for your kind words of appreciation. If you are based in Pune you must give Sajjani's food a try. I'm very sure you will love it! :) Cheers!

      Delete