Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2018

Cafe New York (Hughes Road-Mumbai) - Stellar Kheema Pau !!


For some weird reason (if you ask my friends they're gonna say, 'because you are weird' 😏), when in Mumbai, I was craving Kheema Pau. I put up a post at FB groups for info and reccos for the best Kheema Pau in Mumbai. I'd gotten lots of replies, but one reply had held my attention.

I did try the Kheema from Delhi Durbar; it was quite good.. but.. i was still craving Kheema Pau that bordered or went straight to 'excellent' level.

It was my last day in Mumbai and I had put my feet up for the day. I was so not budging from my hotel room hence, requested a cousin to bring me a portion of Kheema Pau from Cafe Newyork; a restaurant suggested by Chetan Dukle, co-member of a food group. Yes, this was the place that had held my attention.

The Kheema was perfect! The Pau was flattened, buttered and tawa grilled to a nice crisp (the pau bhaji way) and served with a fried egg. Ideally, had I gone to Cafe Newyork, I would've requested a sunny side up version of the fried egg but, as this was a parcel order, I had to have it double fried. 

While the egg was 'meh' (my fault entirely coz I requested a double fry - parcel order tha - koi aur chara nahi tha πŸ™„) and the bread was very nice too but, it was the mutton kheema that shone bright! It was exactly what I was looking for! That mince-fat ratio, the oil floating on top and the spice level; it was all perfect. I had finally found the 'excellence' I was looking for.

I would recommend the Kheema Pau at Cafe Newyork (Hughes Road-Mumbai) in a jiffy. I would advise, though, don't be lazy and order in. It's so worth a trip to the restaurant. That Kheema-Pau-Egg deserve respect; it should be had piping hot. It had gotten a tad cold by the time it reached me and yet, it was yum. I cannot begin to imagine how delicious it would be had I eaten it at the restaurant.

Please note, the kheema gets over by mid-morning hence go to the restaurant before mid-day or call ahead (022-23632876), speak to Mr Irani and reserve the kheema portions you wish to hog on. πŸ˜‹

I'm not too fond of the Mumbai humidity and traffic but, I can't wait to go back for more! 🀀

The bill amount was within 200 bucks (total VFM). Apologies for the crappy pic. My hotel room was bathed in yellow light (bulb), also, I was ravenous hence took a quick pic and began chomping. *greedy grin*

Pssssstt: I'm a teetotaler but I do know Cafe New York serves beer. Ab socho, chilled beer aur saath mein Kheema Pau mil jaye toh.. of course, baat ban jaye. πŸ˜‰

Cafe New York Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment