Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2018

Chana Na Atta No Poro - Besan Omelette


I'd never heard of this until I got married (which seems like eons ago). If I'd murdered someone instead of getting married when I did, I would've been set free 16 years ago. Here, damn, I'm still in shackles. 😏 :D (If Grumpy ever reads this, he’s gonna hit the frikkin' roof :P ) For those of you who don't understand Gujarati, Channa na Atta no Poro translates to Chick Pea Flour/Besan Omelette. My mother-in-law used to make this for the family and I learnt this from her. I have to say, it does turn out yum! 🤤

Ingredients:

½ cup besan/chick pea flour/chana no atto
2 green chilies; finely chopped
1 onion; finely chopped
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon Kashmiri or Deghi Mirch chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon salt
Few stalks coriander leaves; finely chopped
Oil, as required
Water, as required


Method:
  1. Take besan, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder, in a large glass bowl and gradually add water to it to make a semi-thick, lump-free paste. 
  2. Add the chopped green chilies, onions, salt, coriander leaves and mix well.
  3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add 1 or 2 ladles of the besan mixture and swirl the pan to spread the mixture as you would for a regular egg omelette. Lower heat immediately. 
  4. Cook on low heat until one side of the omelette is cooked and crisp. Flip the besan omelette and allow to cook and crisp up on the other side. 
  5. Remove from heat when done and serve with toasted bread and butter. 

Chef Notes:
  1. By semi-thick I would advise, the paste be slightly on the thinner side rather than thicker. That, at the cooking stage, will ensure fast, even cooking. Having said that, please, do not make it too watery.
  2. Feel free to use a whisk or a beater to ensure a smooth, lump-free paste.
  3. I’m not stingy with oil when I fry this; I’m the type who believes, ‘fat is flavour’. Bite me! :P :D If you are the health-conscious type, please adjust the quantity of oil as desired. 
  4. Always cook this omelette on low heat; that ensures that it cooks through and does not remain uncooked from within. 
  5. Depending on how many ladles of batter you use at one time, this will make 1 big or 2 medium omelettes. 
  6. The buttered toast lends a lovely flavor to the omelette so do butter the toast nicely.😉
  7. You may share the direct link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the recipe, simple n scrumptious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Ever so glad to know you liked the recipe. :)

      Delete