Mango Kalakand-Barfi (Microwave)
When guests suddenly drop in on you during the mango season, there is no better way to charm them with a post-dinner sweet than this. You can also make this with canned mango pulp when mangoes are not in season. Not just quick and easy to make, it's totally yum too. Your guests will never guess, or believe, you made this at home. Wanna bet?? ;-)
1 can condensed milk (400 grams)
1 Khoya (mawa)/ricotta cheese /paneer(430 grams) … I used Khoya/mawa
1 teaspoon Almond, Saffron, Cardamom, Pistachio powder
1 cup Alphonso mango pulp
7 almonds, sliced
7 pistachios, sliced
A sheet or two of silver vark/beaten silver sheets, to decorate
Butter for greasing
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix khoya/mawa, mango pulp and condensed milk together, ensuring there are no lumps. (It will look similar to dosa/pancake batter, but thicker.)
- Cook in microwave uncovered for 5 minutes. Take the bowl out mix well and keep them back in the microwave for 5 more minutes.
- Again take out the bowl, mix well and keep it in the microwave covered for 3 minutes. Mix them well again.
- Now keep the lid cross covered, so that the splatter is avoided and also there is enough space to vent the steam from the bowl out or use the splatter screen for that purpose. (I used a splatter screen with a small vent for letting out steam)
- Now micro wave with lids cross covered and every 3 minutes take out, mix well and repeat thrice for a total of 9 minutes. It will be solidified with a grainy texture.
- Add the almond, saffron, cardamom, pistachio powder to this mixture and mix well.
- Microwave covered with a splatter cover for a minute more.
- Grease a tray with a little butter. Transfer the mixture to this prepared tray and flatten the mixture and press it evenly and firmly. Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Decorate with silver vark. Sprinkle the sliced almonds and pistachios and press them lightly so that they stick well.
- Cover the tray and let the mithai set for few hours or refrigerate for an hour till set.
- Slice as per the desired shape. Enjoy!
- The original recipe for Kalakand is courtesy Seema Hussain. The idea to give it a mango twist is courtesy Harry Punwani.
- IMPORTANT: The highest microwave setting for my microwave is 900 W, hence if the highest power of your microwave is 1000 W then reduce a minute from the microwave time mentioned. Alternately, if the highest power of your microwave is less than 900 W then please increase the cooking time by a minute or two depending on the wattage.
- Pistachios can be omitted. I added pistachios to make the Barfi slightly richer.
- If you make this with canned mango pulp, you may have to reduce the condensed milk quantity though, because canned pulp is usually sweetened a wee bit extra by the manufacturers.
- Silver vark too wasn’t used in the original recipe. I wanted the sweet to be visually appealing hence used it.
- You may share the direct blog-link of the
recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site
or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s
as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.